Side Charging Handle System
The Hard Charger®
DEVIL DOG CONCEPTS' Patented SIDE CHARGING HANDLE SYSTEM, the Hard Charger®, turns your Standard Forged Flat Top, AR-15 Rifle into a SIDE CHARGER, quickly and easily!
No Machining - No Modification
The Hard Charger® is designed to give you the more ERGONOMICALLY BENEFICIAL option of a Side Charger, which allows you to maintain positive control of your Rifle with your Firing Hand at all times and use your Support Hand to manipulate the Charging System, without any requirements to rebuild, modify, or buy a new rifle.
The Hard Charger® SIDE CHARGING HANDLE SYSTEM simply mounts to a specific slot in the Picatinny Rail of your Standard Forged Flat Top Upper Receiver and replaces the existing Charging Handle, turning your rifle into a Side Charger.
There are (3) DIFFERENT MOUNTING OPTIONS for you to choose from depending on your preference, shooting style, or optic set up:
There are also (5) DIFFERENT PULL HANDLE styles. Each Pull Handle is specially designed for preference and type of use.
All 5 Pull Handle Options are available in Polycarbonate OR Aluminum:
- TRADITIONAL PULL HANDLE
- TACTICAL PULL HANDLE
- SUBDUED PULL HANDLE
- COMPETITION PULL HANDLE
- EXTENDED COMPETITION PULL HANDLE
INSTALLATION OF THE HARD CHARGER
The Hard Charger® does not require any machining or modifications to install. The video and directions below go over the installation process in its entirety as well as the supplied instruction sheet with every unit. Should you have any remaining questions, please contact us.
- Breakdown a safe and empty rifle as normal and remove the original charging handle.
- Mount the HC Receiver to the rifle in the proper Picatinny slot and secure it down with the supplied hex key. You will notice that the HC Receiver has a dual support system consisting of where it mounts to the rifle and the opposite end standoff support that rests against the rifle. This part is what requires that the rifle's Upper Receiver be a standard forged because of the width requirement needing to be consistent amongst the rifles. We are working on an adaptable HC Receiver that would be compatible with Billet Upper Receivers.
- Once the HC Receiver is mounted, take the Push Rod and Pull Handle and ensure that they are screwed together, finger tight. You will notice there is a recessed portion of the Push Rod. This part is specific to the installation and field stripping capability of the system.
- Insert the Pull Handle and Push Rod into the HC Receiver, Pull Handle first.
- Then take the HC Charging Handle and insert it into the rifle main body with the tube underneath the recessed portion of the Push Rod that is sticking out of the HC Receiver.
- That cleft/cutout portion of the tube in the HC Charging Handle is designed to go over the recessed portion of the Push Rod. This design also aligns the ears of the HC Charging Handle properly in the Upper Receiver for ease of installation.
- Now assemble as you would normally. (You can also now disassemble as you normally would.)